Minutes 26th February 2020

Minutes of the 

Irnham Parish Council Meeting

Held in the Griffin Inn on Wednesday 26 February 2020 at 7pm

Present:- Cllrs Amanda Ayre, Jon Crook, Jenny Crow, Lynda Hall, Trevor Vanson.

Parish Council Clerk: Jenny Crow


1. Apologies for absence

a. PCSO Stuart Bowden


The Chairman welcomed 1 member of the public to the meeting.  


2. Members declaration of interest or request for dispensation

a. None declared.


3. Minutes of meeting 20/11/19

a. Read and accepted as correct record and signed.


4. Matters arising 

a. None


5. Accounts

a. Income into the accounts, since the previous meeting, has been notification of interest on the Defibrillator Account amounting to £0.72.  The Ward Member grant of £300 towards the cost of the Speed Indicator and £622.51 VAT reclaim has been paid into the current account.  Councillors have thanked Cllr Nick Robins for the contribution to the Speed Indicator project. 

b. Councillors agreed the following payment

Unipart Dorman £2514.00

c. The balance of the Current Account is £1269.42, Defibrillator Account £5774.85.

d. Councillors agreed the bank reconciliation for 31/12/19.  There were no unpresented cheques.

e. Councillors agreed to transfer £10.72 VAT refund on the Key pad purchase to the Defibrillator Account.

f. The Christmas raffle took £118.16.  Expenses totalled £20.97 leaving a balance of £97.19 to be paid into the current account.

g. Cllrs agreed the laptop is well protected and agreed not to purchase additional software.


6. County council /district council matters

a. Cllrs noted the CiCLE Event is unlikely to continue this year. 


7. Planning applications

a. Planning Application S19/1652 for two storey extension to rear of Keeper’s Cottage, Irnham supported by Irnham PC and granted by SKDC.

b. Planning Application S19/1869 for consent to install kitchen air extraction unit at the Griffin Inn, Irnham supported by Irnham PC and granted by SKDC.

c. Planning Application S19/2248 for consent to fell an ash tree at 12 Corby Road, Irnham supported by Irnham PC and granted by SKDC.

d. Planning Application S20/0181 for new dwelling at Southwood Farm, Irnham (variation to S18/0069) discussed by councillors and the variation to the planning approved.    

e. Mr C Leggatt has informed the PC of an imminent Planning Application for alterations at The Old Post Office, Irnham.


8. Update on highways issues within the parish

a. Cllr Ayre has asked LCC Highways to inspect the road between Bulby and Edenham which is very poor, particularly around Elsthorpe.  Tree branches have been left on the roadside making it very difficult  for vehicles to pass and large potholes have developed.  Cllr Ayre has also contacted Grimsthorpe Estate to make them aware of the problem.  The verges between Bulby and Elsthorpe have also been destroyed by the deer, again making it very difficult for vehicles to pass safely.  Cllr Ayre is constantly reporting issues to Highways and is still frustrated that she can’t speak to anyone about the issues only report them on FixMyStreet.  All residents are reminded that they can report any Lincolnshire Highways issue to LCC via their website.  This system is a considerable improvement over the previous system. https://fixmystreet.lincolnshire.gov.uk/

It was also reported that some patching has been done at the junction of Swinstead Road with the A151.

b. Cllrs were pleased to report that the Speed Indicator Device has now been installed.  Several residents have expressed gratitude to the PC for this initiative.  One resident has requested the device be sited on the Swinstead Road.  The Clerk has informed them this will happen soon as the sign should be moved regularly so as not to lose impact.  The PC will monitor the effectiveness of the sign through data analysis provided by the data capture function of the sign.

c. Cllr Vanson reported what appears to be an open drain on the verge of the Hawthorpe Road, approximately 10yards before the bridge on the left hand side when approaching from Irnham.  Cllr Ayre to follow up.


9. Events

a. Parish Christmas Sing Along was well attended and most enjoyable.  Several people stayed on to have a meal.  The raffle raised £118.16.  Thanks to all who supported this event.

b. Cllrs agreed to discuss the Best Kept Village Competition at the AGM.  It was noted that we will need a special effort this year to clean up the Parish after the very wet weather.  The Big Clean did a good job sweeping leaves off the pavements in Irnham into the gutters but then unfortunately the road sweeper didn’t get through before it rained heavily.

c. Cllrs discussed the possibility of holding a social event this Spring/Summer and agreed to consult with Jamie Benton Jones regarding the possibility of afternoon tea on VE Day Bank Holiday, Friday 8th May.  Cllr Vanson to follow up.


10. Correspondence

a. Cllrs have been asked to contact LCC regarding felling dead trees near the overhead broadband cables.  Clerk to contact BT as well.

b. Cllrs have been asked for their views on seeking permission to allow a mast to be installed on the Church Tower to improve mobile phone reception.  Cllrs agreed that the signal needs improving but asked Cllr Ayre to raise safety concerns.  

c. Cllrs have been asked to raise the issue of a ditch on the west verge of Swinstead Road.  The ditch can’t be safely cleaned out as the verge is so narrow.  The request is for Highways to pipe and cover over about 10m of the ditch.  Cllr Ayre to follow up.

d. Cllrs were made aware of the ditch near the sewage plant in Irnham overflowing in the heavy rains. This has now been cleaned out by Irnham Estate in conjunction with the Water Authority.

e. Cllrs have been asked to raise the issue of a blocked culvert on the Corby Road with Highways.  Cllr Ayre to follow up.

f. Horse and Rider awareness meeting at Kirkby Underwood.  Cllr Vanson will attend on behalf of the PC.

g. PCSO Stuart Bowden continues to encourage residents to report any suspicious activity.

h. Invitation for Chairman to attend a Parish Council Summit with Gareth Davies MP on Friday 20th March in Grantham.  Cllr Vanson will attend.

11.   Irnham parochial church council matters for the parish

a. Cllr Ayre reported that SKDC has agreed the replacement Lead work on the Church roof.  Faculty approval is still awaited.

b. Decisions about the planned toilet block will be taken at the next meeting.


12.   Any other business

a. Cllr Crow would like to add more information to the Irnham Website – welcome for new residents etc.  Cllrs will let Cllr Crow have any suggested material.

b. Cllr Vanson proposed the PC should investigate Village Gateways as the project for 2020/21.

c. An old map of Bulby was circulated and it is hoped to include information from it in the ‘phone box in Bulby.

d. The Notice Board in Irnham is leaking and in need of repair.  Cllr Crook agreed to look into this.


13.  Dates of next meeting

a. Next Parish Council Meeting, Wednesday 22nd April, 7pm, The Griffin Inn.

b. Annual Meeting of Irnham Parish Council and Annual Parish Meeting, Wednesday 13thMay 2020.  Venue to be confirmed.


Meeting ended at  8.30pm.